Re: Rman Question

From: ddf <oratune_at_msn.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2008 08:30:53 -0800 (PST)

Comments embedded.

On Dec 1, 9:19 pm, mrdjmag..._at_aol.com wrote:
> I need to restore a copy of our database on a different server.  I
> have full backups going back 4 weeks plus cumulative backups.
>
> I'm not sure where the problem happened.

What 'problem'? Why do you feel a need to restore a copy on a different server? You haven't provided much in the way of useful information for others to use in their attempts to assist you. Please provide more detail on this operation so others can have a decent starting point.

> So, I figure I can restore
> the earilest copy, and if that is not it, restore the next full
> backup......

If the 'problem' exists in the earliest copy then any subsequent copy will be no better. One presumes you're looking for a backup where this 'problem' hasn't yet occurred..

> Anyhow, I am looking for some decent documentation that will tell me
> the best way to restore the database onto a new server as well as
> choosing which incarnation of the database I want to restore.......

Then you visit

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/backup.102/b14191/rcmdupdb.htm#i1006982

and start reading. You should also read here:

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/backup.102/b14194/rcmsynta051.htm#RCMRF149

Look for the section named "Identifying Needed Backups with RESTORE... PREVIEW: Example".

David Fitzjarrell Received on Tue Dec 02 2008 - 10:30:53 CST

Original text of this message