Re: Exporting and Importing SQL Statement Cache

From: Stevo <steven.robbins_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 07:26:07 -0800 (PST)

On 28 Nov, 14:20, "Matthias Hoys" <a..._at_spam.com> wrote:
> >I am always curious at to why this would be the case.  Were these
> >buyers who bought the software back in 1998 without a support
> >contract?  Other than that, why wouldn't someone do it when they can
> >do it for free?
> >The argument "It works, why mess with it?" I have heard in the past I
> >think is just lame.  The first time someone hits a problem without
> >support (assuming they have a support contract), someone will lose a
> >job, which is just wrong.
>
> It all depends. Sometimes you can do more damage by upgrading than by
> leaving it alone. I recently installed patch set 10.2.0.4 (upgrade from
> 10.2.0.3) and some user queries just crashed with ora-600 errors ! I had to
> install 3 additional one-off patches and set a hidden ora parameter before
> everything was "stable" again. And Oracle Locator was broken after the
> upgrade ... Luckily, this was only a development environment. Still, I
> didn't expect that many problems after the installation of the third patch
> set for the second release of a software product ...
>
> Matthias

The support contract was apparently packaged by the vendor that supplied the web based content management system. The application is now out of support therefore voiding any chances I have of gaining assistance from the vendor. This all happened before I was hired so I'm just trying to clean up the mess.

I'm assuming the task of upgrading from 8 to 9 is not to be taken lightly and I've been told there is a plan to migrate to a new content management system so for now I'd rather not make any large changes.

> Other than that, why wouldn't someone do it when they can
> do it for free?

Steve, are you referring to the upgrade of oracle from 8 to 9 being for free? I didn't realise that. Received on Fri Nov 28 2008 - 09:26:07 CST

Original text of this message