Re: Exporting and Importing SQL Statement Cache

From: Matthias Hoys <anti_at_spam.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 15:20:33 +0100

>I am always curious at to why this would be the case. Were these
>buyers who bought the software back in 1998 without a support
>contract? Other than that, why wouldn't someone do it when they can
>do it for free?

>The argument "It works, why mess with it?" I have heard in the past I
>think is just lame. The first time someone hits a problem without
>support (assuming they have a support contract), someone will lose a
>job, which is just wrong.

It all depends. Sometimes you can do more damage by upgrading than by leaving it alone. I recently installed patch set 10.2.0.4 (upgrade from 10.2.0.3) and some user queries just crashed with ora-600 errors ! I had to install 3 additional one-off patches and set a hidden ora parameter before everything was "stable" again. And Oracle Locator was broken after the upgrade ... Luckily, this was only a development environment. Still, I didn't expect that many problems after the installation of the third patch set for the second release of a software product ...

Matthias Received on Fri Nov 28 2008 - 08:20:33 CST

Original text of this message