Re: View from CLOB chunks

From: Palooka <nobody_at_nowhere.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 22:12:40 +0000

yuri.dench_at_gmail.com wrote:
> Hello,
> Is it possible to creare a view that will split single CLOB column
> into multiple chunks of VARCHAR2 something like this:
>
> TABLE:
> ---------------------------
> ID INTEGER
> DATA CLOB
>
> into VIEW:
> ID INTEGER
> CHUNK_ID INTEGER
> DATA VARCHAR(1000 char)

Vladimir's remarks are worthy of attention, for sure. He knows what he is talking about.

But what I don't understand is why you want to put it into the database as a CLOB, then pull it out again split into chunks of varchar2. If that's what is needed, why not store it as a child table containing varchar2s in the first place?

I suspect that the design may benefit from a revisit.

Palooka Received on Tue Nov 18 2008 - 16:12:40 CST

Original text of this message