Re: Tablespace Usage and Performance

From: Robert Klemme <shortcutter_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Sat, 08 Nov 2008 13:56:12 +0100

On 08.11.2008 02:49, DA Morgan wrote:

> Dereck L. Dietz wrote:

>> Oracle 10g 10.2.0.3
>> Windows 2003 Server
>>
>> I have someone who made the following statement:
>>
>> "any time a tablespace is > 85% [ of capacity ] we experience
>> performance degragation".
>>
>> Is there any validity in that or not?
>>
>> Thanks

> Not!

Hmm, I lean more towards Joel. After all, the statement is just an observation, which we can't really question. The interesting bit is to find out what caused this observation. There may be a common root for both phenomena (for example, heavy insert activity at end of month just before old data is purged, leading to tablespaces filling up AND queries being slow). But of course, there is by far too many detail to only start guessing about something like that. We do not even know what "performance degradation" means. Is it queries, inserts, backup etc.? Just one statement or multiple? ...

Kind regards

        robert Received on Sat Nov 08 2008 - 06:56:12 CST

Original text of this message