Re: Tablespace Usage and Performance

From: DA Morgan <>
Date: Sat, 08 Nov 2008 12:48:10 -0800

Robert Klemme wrote:
> On 08.11.2008 02:49, DA Morgan wrote:

>> Dereck L. Dietz wrote:
>>> Oracle 10g
>>> Windows 2003 Server
>>> I have someone who made the following statement:
>>> "any time a tablespace is > 85% [ of capacity ] we experience
>>> performance degragation".
>>> Is there any validity in that or not?
>>> Thanks
>> Not!

> Hmm, I lean more towards Joel. After all, the statement is just an
> observation, which we can't really question. The interesting bit is to
> find out what caused this observation. There may be a common root for
> both phenomena (for example, heavy insert activity at end of month just
> before old data is purged, leading to tablespaces filling up AND queries
> being slow). But of course, there is by far too many detail to only
> start guessing about something like that. We do not even know what
> "performance degradation" means. Is it queries, inserts, backup etc.?
> Just one statement or multiple? ...
> Kind regards
> robert

My point in the simplistic answer is that there may be other things going on but there is no 1:1 relationship between available space and performance. Could a lack of space mean that there are other issues related to performance? Of course. But you can not draw a straight line that corresponds with the question asked by the OP.

Daniel A. Morgan
Oracle Ace Director & Instructor
Puget Sound Oracle Users Group