Re: RH Server puking when RMAN is writing to NFS and NFS goes down

From: Matthias Hoys <anti_at_spam.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 20:36:09 +0100

"NetComrade" <netcomradeNSPAM_at_bookexchange.net> wrote in message news:i6njg4h5mr03rd2e6hgvnmteue1oa3eoru_at_4ax.com...
> On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 08:35:53 -0700 (PDT), sybrandb
> <sybrandb_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>On 30 okt, 14:38, NetComrade <netcomradeNS..._at_bookexchange.net> wrote:
>>> Anyone seen this? Any clue?
>
>>Are we to guess (or to look in a dictionary) what 'puking' means?
>>Is there salary deducted for every letter you type? It has always been
>>unclear whether Oracle supported NFS for which version and in which
>>circumstances.
>>We don't have any information from you about the affected Oracle
>>versions, and which NFS version you are using, and with which buffer
>>settings you mounted it.
>>If you can't be bothered to provide any detail, please consider to not
>>post this riddle at all!
>
> RH 4
> Oracle 10.2.0.3
> nfs mounted with
> (rw,bg,intr,hard,timeo=600,wsize=32768,rsize=32768,tcp)
> nfs is used purely for backups
> by default, it uses ver=3
> Sun V40Z AMD server
>
> By puking, I mean Server dies (reboots).
> This is less of an oracle issue and more of an OS issue, but I was
> curious if anyone has seen this.
>
> Apologies for not providing details earlier.. was sort of a quick
> question, maybe someone has seen it.
>
> Thanks,

> We run Oracle 9iR2,10gR2, 10g2RAC on RH4/RH5 and Solaris 10 (Sparc)
> We use RMAN and remote catalog for backups

I don't know if this helps, but I saw this in the 10.2.0.4 patch notes:

"14.16 NFS Client Causes Machine To Reboot During Database Stress Testing

Under certain test conditions with the system running at about 75% CPU utilization, a system/OS reboot has been observed on Suse SLES10. An OS bug has been opened against SLES10 with Novell. The Oracle bug 6883690 contains the details and references the Novell bug (# 361920) filed for this issue." Received on Thu Oct 30 2008 - 14:36:09 CDT

Original text of this message