please refresh my memory on ora-12514

From: GS <GS_at_GS.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 22:51:07 GMT

Created a 10GR2 dev db, created the db by restoring database files from prod offline user backup, recreated control files and set database to ivcust50

Now, when originally creating the database, used the name ivcust502 for all of the names, and it truncated it to ivcust50 for the database name. Normally I would have set all the names to 8 chars but this was an oversight.

Now when I try to set up the database in my OID, I enter ivcust502 (for the developers ease so they know where they are) for the service name alias, in any case, I should be able to call this timbuctoo if I want, correct? The for the database service_name I enter ivcust50, to match the actual database name. Now I can tnsping the service, but when I try to ping it from net manager or try and connect to it, I get the 12514 error. Made an entry in the local tnsnames and same result, as expected. Using SID instead of service name makes no difference. lsnrctl status on the server shows this:

C:\>lsnrctl status

LSNRCTL for 32-bit Windows: Version 10.2.0.4.0 - Production on 29-OCT-2008 16:45:11 Copyright (c) 1991, 2007, Oracle. All rights reserved.

Connecting to
(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=winms-ivaravm52)(PORT=1521)))
STATUS of the LISTENER

Alias                     LISTENER
Version                   TNSLSNR for 32-bit Windows: Version 10.2.0.4.0
- Production
Start Date                28-OCT-2008 16:42:29
Uptime                    1 days 0 hr. 2 min. 44 sec
Trace Level               off
Security                  ON: Local OS Authentication
SNMP                      OFF

Listener Parameter File
c:\oracle\product\10.2.0\db_1\network\admin\listener.ora Listener Log File
c:\oracle\product\10.2.0\db_1\network\log\listener.log Listening Endpoints Summary...

(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=winms-ivaravm52.millsite.net)(PORT=1521)))
Services Summary...
Service "ivcust502" has 1 instance(s).

   Instance "ivcust502", status READY, has 1 handler(s) for this service... Service "ivcust502XDB" has 1 instance(s).

   Instance "ivcust502", status READY, has 1 handler(s) for this service...
Service "ivcust502_XPT" has 1 instance(s).
   Instance "ivcust502", status READY, has 1 handler(s) for this service...
Service "ivuat502" has 2 instance(s).
   Instance "ivuat502", status UNKNOWN, has 1 handler(s) for this service...
   Instance "ivuat502", status READY, has 1 handler(s) for this service...
Service "ivuat502_XPT" has 1 instance(s).
   Instance "ivuat502", status READY, has 1 handler(s) for this service...
The command completed successfully

Now here is the strange part, on the server where the database resides it allowed me to call the service_name ivcust502 in the local tnsnames file, which it wont allow if I try it in net manager from another machine, and I can connect to it fine. Why is this?

The fast fix would seem to be to change all the names to the 8 char ivcust50, but is this doable? Use oradim to delete the service and recreate perhaps?

Or is there something obvious I am missing here?

TIA Received on Wed Oct 29 2008 - 17:51:07 CDT

Original text of this message