Re: system update

From: Shakespeare <>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 13:10:16 +0200

"gazzag" <> schreef in bericht On 21 Oct, 23:09, "Mr. Chow Wing Siu" <wsc..._at_Comp.HKBU.Edu.HK> wrote:

Comments embedded.

> If it's linux, why not install the operating system and database
> onto a virtual machine for testing? It costs nothing.
> By the way, you also need to practise update glibc library and
> downgrade it (during when the operating crashes).
> Either you can or cannot do it. Please formally and officially
> seek your boss's approval before doing anything into production system.

This is definitely the salient point. I would want an e-mail (at least) from my boss agreeing that, due to a lack of a test environment, he/she is happy for an untested system-wide change to be deployed straight into the production environment. Of course, if I was your boss, I would then require a similar assurance from my boss and so on and so fifth :)
> --
> Johnson Chow

HTH -g

Unfortnately, in a lot of cases the boss will bounce back the question to the same DBA....

Shakespeare Received on Wed Oct 22 2008 - 06:10:16 CDT

Original text of this message