Re: system update

From: gazzag <gareth_at_jamms.org>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 03:57:10 -0700 (PDT)

On 21 Oct, 23:09, "Mr. Chow Wing Siu" <wsc..._at_Comp.HKBU.Edu.HK> wrote:

Comments embedded.

> If it's linux, why not install the operating system and database
> onto a virtual machine for testing?  It costs nothing.
>
> By the way, you also need to practise update glibc library and
> downgrade it (during when the operating crashes).
>
> Either you can or cannot do it.  Please formally and officially
> seek your boss's approval before doing anything into production system.

This is definitely the salient point. I would want an e-mail (at least) from my boss agreeing that, due to a lack of a test environment, he/she is happy for an untested system-wide change to be deployed straight into the production environment. Of course, if I was your boss, I would then require a similar assurance from my boss and so on and so fifth :)

> --
> Johnson Chow

HTH -g Received on Wed Oct 22 2008 - 05:57:10 CDT

Original text of this message