Re: ORA-12899: value too large for column with Oracle Patch 10.2.0.4

From: Arne Ortlinghaus <Arne.Ortlinghaus_at_acs.it>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 10:20:53 +0200

I only want to inform you that possibly this symtom is related to a bug that leaded to database crashes.

Actually I am testing as a work around the following system change: alter system set event="10778 trace name context forever, level 1" scope=spfile;

I still have to wait some time if it resolves both types of errors.

Bug 5745084 - Abstract: OERI[ksmals] [sql txt in kkslod] querying V$ views which access
X$KGLLK
Fixed-Releases: A205
Details:
This problem is introduced in 9.2.0.8.
This fix can be used in preference to the fix in bug 4969005 as that fix only protects against dumps under kglLockIterator. Queries against v iews which access X$KGLLK can fail with dumps or errors such as ORA-600
[ksmals]
[sql txt in kkslod], or may return garbage for some column values.
Note: This fix is disabled by default. To enable the fix set event 10778 to level 1. With
the fix enabled the latchless iterator code is not used (as was the case prior t
o 9.2.0.8) which avoids the dumps / ORA-600 issues but can results in higher lat
ch gets from queries on the affected views.

Arne Ortlinghaus
ACS Data Systems Received on Tue Oct 14 2008 - 03:20:53 CDT

Original text of this message