Re: Oracle 11g Consume 100% of the CPU Cycles

From: Steve Howard <>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2008 09:41:40 -0700 (PDT)

On Oct 6, 12:06 pm, "geoff" <> wrote:
> I have a Windows XP machine that never had Oracle on it before.
> I installed Oracle 11g and everything appeared to be going smoothly except
> towards the end, it could not start the DBConsole.
> After the install was complete, 'oracle.exe' was taking 100% of the CPU
> cycles.
> I searched the web but it appears no one knows what is going on.  Some of
> the responses included:
> - Maybe insufficient hardware, not enough memory, etc.
> - If the machine had Oracle before, perhaps it has a lot of jobs to run.
> - The machine rebooted before the install completed.
> . . . on my machine, the MS loopback connector is installed and working, and
> the machine has plenty of resources.
> Appreciate any info.
> --g

Hi Geoff,

Assuming you are running this on your laptop for learning purposes, run the following at a DOS prompt and post the output.

cd %oracle_home%\rdbms\admin
sqlplus / as sysdba
select the range of the last three or four snapshots and enter the ID's.
Take the text file output default name, and post the output

(this may take a while if it is as saturated as you note)

HTH, Steve Received on Mon Oct 06 2008 - 11:41:40 CDT

Original text of this message