New undocumented parameters for Oracle

From: Mladen Gogala <>
Date: 26 Sep 2008 13:43:20 +0200

Oracle has some undocumented new parameters. I was unable to find anything on Metalink or Google. The parameters are:

Is there anybody who knows what these parameters are about? It looks like a brand new mechanism, possibly for handling NUMA or, maybe, MODEL clause and analytic functions? These are wild guesses, I have no clue about the true nature of the parameters.

There is also a new parameter "DB_ULTRA_SAFE" which deals with corruptions. It is a synthetic parameter which combines the previously known parameters DB_BLOCK_CHECKING, DB_BLOCK_CHECKSUM, and DB_LOST_WRITE_PROTECT. I imagine that this parameter can have quite a visible effect on performance.The parameter is described in the note 465130.1 on Metalink.

Mladen Gogala