Re: Recording Oracle transaction levels

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 15:40:35 -0700 (PDT)

On Sep 11, 6:12 am, Johne_uk <edg..._at_tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just a quick question.
>
> My manager is in the process of setting up some KPIs for our IT
> department (mostly general interest for other depts to look at). One
> such metric he has requested is 'the actual number of transactions
> executed within the previous hour'.
>
> I don't think this is possible because, as far as I know, Oracle
> doesn't keep any record of the number of transactions it has executed
> and taking regular snapshots of how many transactions are running at
> that exact time is going to be pretty meaningleess as some
> transactions can be as short as a mill-second.
>
> So the question being - is my assumption above correct or is there
> another way to do this that I'm unaware of?
>
> Thanks in advance
> John

The hardest part is if you need to determine "how many of what type of transactions".

If your apps have been designed and instrumented from the beginning they may already be maintaining some or all of this info. However many apps especially in house don't have any real instrumentation at all.

Yes as other have noted oracle does maintain info where you can fairly easily derive some numbers.

Are they meaningful though? If you have other monitoring tools in place or even just OEM of various flavors well guess what you get monitoring generated and system generated transactions also ... that don't provide any tangible benefit to a manager looking for numbers of "business" transactions.

If you are running some 3rd party app many/most of then will have their own stats outside of oracle that may be more meaningful. Received on Thu Sep 11 2008 - 17:40:35 CDT

Original text of this message