Re: SQLPLUS driver

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 09:31:55 -0700 (PDT)

On Sep 11, 5:17 am, sybra..._at_hccnet.nl wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 11:05:15 +0200, "Wilfrid" <grill..._at_yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Hello,
>
> >I am trying to find articles/resources about what kind of database driver
> >sqlplus is using to connect to an oracle server.
> >From my initial search, I have a feeling it is odbc but i can't find any
> >real complete information about this.
>
> >Thanks in advance
>
> Sql*plus is NOT using odbc. Also odbc is not a driver, odbc is just
> glue translating/communicating with native drivers.
> To connect to a database using sqlplus you need a full client (all
> versions) or an instant client (10g and higher).
> Eventually sqlplus uses OCI (Oracle Call Interface), but oci.dll won't
> work standalone.
> In the past, at a a minimum, you need to install the Required Support
> Files and Sqlnet.
>
> --
> Sybrand Bakker
> Senior Oracle DBA

SQLPlus connects to a local or remote Oracle database using Oranet better known as sqlnet which was mentioned in the last line of Sybrand's response.

If you are on a PC or other remote server from the database then you have to install client software and in the case of SQLPlus it is what Sybrand called the thick cleint, which is the normal traditional full Oracle sqlnet cleint. Oracle pro* language support and tools (exp, imp, and sqlldr) may or may not be installed based on the desired level of features desired.

Beside the thick client there is a thin client used by java.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Thu Sep 11 2008 - 11:31:55 CDT

Original text of this message