Re: SQLPLUS driver

From: <sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 11:17:01 +0200

On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 11:05:15 +0200, "Wilfrid" <grille11_at_yahoo.com> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I am trying to find articles/resources about what kind of database driver
>sqlplus is using to connect to an oracle server.
>From my initial search, I have a feeling it is odbc but i can't find any
>real complete information about this.
>
>Thanks in advance

Sql*plus is NOT using odbc. Also odbc is not a driver, odbc is just glue translating/communicating with native drivers. To connect to a database using sqlplus you need a full client (all versions) or an instant client (10g and higher). Eventually sqlplus uses OCI (Oracle Call Interface), but oci.dll won't work standalone.
In the past, at a a minimum, you need to install the Required Support Files and Sqlnet.

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA