Re: Oracle 10 Failover

From: <sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 21:21:00 +0200

On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 20:44:47 +0200, "Chris Seidel" <cseidel_at_arcor.de> wrote:

>sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl wrote:
>
>> I wouldn't consider client side failover using any form of
>> replication.
>
>Why not if the data doesn't have to be "brand new"?

I already explained Streams and CDC are asynchronous. This means transaction consistency is NOT guaranteed. Dataguard potentially guarantees transaction consistency.

>> Client side failover applies to Dataguard or RAC, not Streams or CDC.
>
>RAC uses a single database. So RAC alone is not an option for a distributed
>environment. In a distr. env. I need RAC + Data Guard, right?

Are we discussing a distributed environment? As far as I am concerned we are discussing misusing distributed multi-directional technologies (replication, streams) to mimic unidirectional fallback technologies (Dataguard).

The main purpose of RAC is to protect servers (and to offer additional scalability).
The main purpose of Dataguard is to protect disks. I do not see where distributed environment comes into play, nowhere you described you have a distributed environment.

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA