Re: RMAN Archive Log

From: <sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 21:12:19 +0200

On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 11:15:35 -0700 (PDT), exec_at_chicagorsvp.com wrote:

>On Sep 10, 12:39 pm, sybra..._at_hccnet.nl wrote:
>> On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 10:29:40 -0700 (PDT), e..._at_chicagorsvp.com wrote:
>>
>> >Hi,
>>
>> >We put our database into archive log mode.  It has been that way for a
>> >day.  We also modified our init.ora file to set the destination and
>> >file name format.
>>
>> >When we run RMAN, it looks in the oracle home and also for a totally
>> >different file name with a totally different sequence number.  We set
>> >the location in RMAN with no luck.......
>>
>> >We are on 10g R2 and using the control file rather than the recovery
>> >catalog......
>>
>> >Any thoughts?  Do I need to shutdown and re-open with resetlogs???
>>
>> RMAN only looks in the catalog whether it is located in the
>> controlfile or in the catalog database doesn't matter.
>>
>> In short: you only state 'It doesn't work' without any evidence.
>> You can not expect accurate responses.
>>
>> --
>> Sybrand Bakker
>> Senior Oracle DBA- Hide quoted text -

>Take a look at this:
>
>SQL> archive log list
>Database log mode Archive Mode
>Automatic archival Enabled
>Archive destination /u03/NI00/arch
>Oldest online log sequence 68123
>Next log sequence to archive 68132
>Current log sequence 68132
>
>SQL> select min(sequence#), max(sequence#), min(first_time),
>max(first_time) from v$archived_log;
>
>MIN(SEQUENCE#) MAX(SEQUENCE#) MIN(FIRST MAX(FIRST
>-------------- -------------- --------- ---------
> 37099 68131 27-MAR-08 10-SEP-08
>
>This is VERY wrong. We did have archiving turned on back in March.
>We shut it off for several reasons and turned it back on last night.
>So, RMAN is looking for 37099, which does not exist......
>
>How do we fix that?

This is NOT 'very' wrong. It is just a result of sloppy operational procedures. Apparently you are switching very infrequently and have 10 online redologs. Why escapes me, as 4 is usually sufficient.

It can be resolved by making your first backup using the skip inaccessible clause.
After you have validated this backup, you could crosscheck archivelog all
and
deleted expired archivelog all

and you are set.
You could also perform an initial cold backup (all archivelogs before the backup are redundant)
or the hack you described opening the database with resetlogs. But there is really no need for that.

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA