Re: Inserting/Updating Unicode Data

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 11:45:53 -0700 (PDT)

On Sep 10, 10:46 am, rob <rob_pan..._at_asdsoftware.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to store Unicode characters (i.e. - Chinese, Polish,
> French, English, ... )
> in my database tables.
>
> Current NLS settings:
> -------------------------
> NLS_CHARACTERSET = WE8MSWIN1252
> NLS_NCHAR_CHARACTERSET = AL16UTF16
>
> Sample Table:
> ----------------
> Create Table myTest ( somevalue NVarchar(50) )
>
> Sample Insert:
> -----------------
> Insert into mytest values (N'$B4pK\>e(B')
> Insert into mytest values(N'some value')
>
> When I execute the above sql select statement the chinese characters
> are NOT inserted into the database. I get upside down question marks
> instead.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Rob Panosh
> Advanced Software Designs

Most likely, you don't have the proper client environment set up. Please show the select statement, as well as your session and database NLS variables on insert and select, client and server. And exact version and platforms.

What is NLS_LANG set to? See metalink Note:158577.1 .

If you are on unix on the server, you can use the od utility to look at the data directly, among other ways.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://kk.org/ct2/2008/09/heinleins-fan-mail-solution.php