Re: Inserting/Updating Unicode Data

From: rob <rob_panosh_at_asdsoftware.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 12:13:08 -0700 (PDT)

Joel,

Thanks for you reply.

Here are my NLS parameters:

PARAMETER	VALUE
NLS_LANGUAGE	AMERICAN
NLS_TERRITORY	AMERICA
NLS_CURRENCY	$
NLS_ISO_CURRENCY	AMERICA
NLS_NUMERIC_CHARACTERS	.,
NLS_CHARACTERSET	WE8MSWIN1252
NLS_CALENDAR	GREGORIAN
NLS_DATE_FORMAT	DD-MON-RR
NLS_DATE_LANGUAGE	AMERICAN
NLS_SORT	BINARY
NLS_TIME_FORMAT	HH.MI.SSXFF AM
NLS_TIMESTAMP_FORMAT	DD-MON-RR HH.MI.SSXFF AM
NLS_TIME_TZ_FORMAT	HH.MI.SSXFF AM TZR
NLS_TIMESTAMP_TZ_FORMAT	DD-MON-RR HH.MI.SSXFF AM TZR
NLS_DUAL_CURRENCY	$
NLS_COMP	BINARY
NLS_LENGTH_SEMANTICS	BYTE
NLS_NCHAR_CONV_EXCP	FALSE
NLS_NCHAR_CHARACTERSET	AL16UTF16
NLS_RDBMS_VERSION	9.2.0.3.0

We have a .NET application that can run against a SQL Server or Oracle 9i / 10g database. This application allows user to preview data for many languages on the same form (using Arial Unicode MS font). In sql server we are not having any issues inserting / previewing data from the NVarchar fields, but with Oracle once the data is saved and retrieved the the database upside down questons marks are being shown.

I don't completely understand why I would have to change the client "NLS_LANG", due to the fact that our client is application is a unicode app. I thought the whole point of using "NVarchars" was to allow the storing of National characters.

Thanks,
Rob Received on Wed Sep 10 2008 - 14:13:08 CDT

Original text of this message