Re: RMAN Moving Archivelogs

From: Palooka <nobody_at_nowhere.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 01:07:17 +0100

artmerar_at_yahoo.com wrote:
> We are about to implement our RMAN backups, thanks to everyone here
> and their advice. One question, say our archive destination fills
> up. We currently have a script which moves all but the latest 3
> files.
>
> How would I tell RMAN where the archivelogs have been copied to? We
> are not using a recovery catalog......
>
> Regards.

My advice is don't move the archivelogs about. Archive to the FRA, and have RMAN backup database plus archivelog (having set a recovery window according to your business requirements).

Set control_file_record_keep_time to your recovery window plus a day.

Delete noprompt obsolete by all means, but don't go removing files from the FRA at the OS level, or Oracle will lose track, and you will waste time unnecessarily doing all the crosschecking.

While you are about it, I'd recommend configuring controlfile autobackup on; then your controlfile and spfile get an extra backup at negligible cost. As long as you have made a note of the DBID you can recover the current state from pretty well anything, except loss of all online redo logs (but you mirror them at the Oracle level, don't you?).

HTH,
Palooka Received on Tue Sep 09 2008 - 19:07:17 CDT

Original text of this message