Re: Recovery Catalog vs Control File

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 06:24:04 -0700 (PDT)

On Aug 29, 9:07 am, e..._at_chicagorsvp.com wrote:
> I've read a lot about this concept, Recovery Catalog vs Control File.
> I'm just looking for some real life experience comments.
>
> I've always thought that using a recovery catalog only gives you yet
> another instance to back up.
>
> What are some of your experiences.......it'd help me make my
> decision.  Reading is not the same as getting real life comments......

If you have a single database (or maybe just two) I see no reason to have a recovery catalog. As long as you backup the control file as part of you backup set then in the event you lose the control file you first recovery it then perform a recovery using a backup control file. RMAN/Oracle will handle the rest.

A recovery catalog only provides two advantages over using the control file. One is the ability to save scripts but you can save your scripts in a directory and make sure that directory is part of the OS level backups. I forget the other advantage as I do not consider whatever it is as being that important or useful.

With multiple databases I can see the recovery catalog as potentially being more beneficial as it can give you one place to look to check on the status of your backups.

But unless you can place the recovery catalog on a different server than your production databases you could end up in a situation where you cannot start recovery of any of your databases till you restore the recovery catalog database.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Fri Aug 29 2008 - 08:24:04 CDT

Original text of this message