Re: RMAN

From: <artmerar_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 09:07:47 -0700 (PDT)

On Aug 28, 5:36 am, Cristian Cudizio <cristian.cudi..._at_yahoo.it> wrote:
> On 27 Ago, 20:19, artme..._at_yahoo.com wrote:
>

> > Hi,
>
> > We're setting up RMAN and configuring our environment. We are on
> > Oracle 10gR2. I'm having trouble understand these commands:
>
> > CONFIGURE DEVICE TYPE DISK BACKUP TYPE TO COMPRESSED BACKUPSET
> > PARALLELISM 20;
> > CONFIGURE CHANNEL DEVICE TYPE DISK FORMAT '/disk1/ora_df%t_s%s_s%p';
>
> > They both specify disk. But, can they be combined into one command?
> > The documentation is really not specific on this. They show different
> > variants of the above, but I did not find anything on a combination of
> > the commands. If we can do it in one command, it makes more
> > sense......
>
> > Thank you.
>
> If you seehttp://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/backup.102/b14194/rcmsyn...
> you can configure different formats for different channels (for
> different backup pieces and one backupset)
> while "parallelism" and "compressed backupset" are "global" settings
> for a backup set
> you can configure different settings for different channells that
> write different backup sets.
> Hope this helps.
>
> Regards,
> Cristian Cudizio
>
> http://cristiancudizio.wordpress.com

You know, I read someplace that it is good to put each datafile in its own backup piece. Their reason was that when performing partial restore the files are smaller to read and the restore will be quicker.

Is there any truth to this? Received on Thu Aug 28 2008 - 11:07:47 CDT

Original text of this message