Re: What are the advantages of migrating appliations from Oracle 8i to the 10g platform?

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 10:22:26 -0700

EliasFigueroa wrote:
> What are the advantages of migrating appliations from Oracle 8i to the
> 10g platform

Others have taken a shot at answering your question looking at it from the standpoint of your organization. Let me give you a different perspective.

Oracle DBAs and developers whose experience is with 8i, at least in my geographical area, are unemployable. You need to keep you skill set current. And part of that is learning to migrate from 8i to 9i or 10g or above. If you are in 8i you have no experience with locally managed tablespaces, no experience with undo segments, no experience with any of the many serious security and auditing improvements. The list of what you don't have production experience with goes to hundreds of pages.

My recommendation would be to put together a test server and migrate your application to 10gR2. Then compare the two different platforms and determine the cost-benefit for the organization. Personally I wouldn't touch 8i again for any purpose other than to move it to a currently supported environment.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
Oracle Ace Director & Instructor