Re: Newbie Question - What to use to open dump file?

From: gazzag <gareth_at_jamms.org>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 02:47:12 -0700 (PDT)

On 18 Aug, 16:40, jfal..._at_socket.net wrote:
> I have a customer that wanted me to look at some of their data.  They
> gave me a dump file from there oracle database.  I don't have an
> oracle system.  I was wondering if there is a standalone method of
> using this data similar to MSDE type of MSSQL or the Sybase
> SQLAnywhere single user software.  I don't mind spending some money on
> a 1 user version of software, but I don't want to put in an entire
> system for what may be a 1 time thing.  I downloaded a mobile lite
> install, but if I understand the docs, it is the app server and client
> tier of a three tier system.  What tool would you recommend?  Thanks
> for your help.

What version of Oracle?

Anyway, I second David Fitzjarrell's post. In addition to creating a database, you'll need to look up how to use Oracle's import function ("imp" or "impdp", depending on your version) in the Utilities Guide http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14215/toc.htm

HTH -g Received on Tue Aug 19 2008 - 04:47:12 CDT

Original text of this message