Re: Oracle Startup Removes SAP Registry Variables in Win2003

From: Shakespeare <whatsin_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 18:43:21 +0200

Please put your replies below the original post (some people in this group do not like top posting ...)
See below

"if_investor_at_yahoo.com" <basis_consultant_at_hotmail.com> schreef in bericht news:d27b3bbe-6937-4c73-8587-1c6b01f24659_at_a1g2000hsb.googlegroups.com...

>> Use a tool like RegMon to check if this really happens when Oracle
>> starts.
>> How do you start Oracle?
>>
>> Shakespeare

> Hi Shakespeare,
>
> Thanks for the response. I might use Regmon.
>
> In brief, here is what happens:
>
> - I add a variable to the registry for SAP. ( I described the exact
> location in the previous posting).
> I monitor the registry through regedit.
>
> (i) I shutdown SAP - The variable is in the registry
> (ii) I shutdown Oracle through 'shutdown immediate' - The variable is
> in the registry
> (iii) I startup Oracle by using the command 'startup' in sqlplus - The
> var. is no longer in the registry
> Oracle starts up without issues (Other than this registry change).
> (iv) SAP starts without problems. (With the env. variables containing
> entries that were previously in the regsitry)
>
> Thanks,
> DF

It is very unlikely that Oracle sets the registry variables during startup, unless some startupscript is used. I have never seen this happen before. But since you have seen this actually happen, it seems to be that Oracle does indeed remove them...

Could you try to see what happens when you start your database from a remote client, using SQLPLUS and login as "sys as sysdba" ? I'm wondering wether the action is started from within the database or by sqlplus itself using some script....

Shakespeare Received on Fri Aug 15 2008 - 11:43:21 CDT

Original text of this message