Re: Oracle Startup Removes SAP Registry Variables in Win2003

From: Shakespeare <whatsin_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 12:47:00 +0200

"if_investor_at_yahoo.com" <basis_consultant_at_hotmail.com> schreef in bericht news:5e8095cd-2827-4cec-844c-f9c13c30a396_at_w7g2000hsa.googlegroups.com...
> Hi,
>
> This is one of the strangest technical issues that I have come
> across......Starting Oracle
> seems to remove Windows registry variables.
>
> We are running Oracle 9i with an SAP system (v47) on Win2003.
>
> Please...no flames about using Ora 9i. This combination of Oracle/SAP
> systems
> is supported by SAP.
>
> I needed to stop and start SAP and Oracle. Oracle successfully
> started.
>
> However, the SAP traces indicated problems associated with missing
> registry/environment
> variables.
>
> I checked the registry in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE-SOFTWARE-SAP-<SAP
> system>-
> Environment, and, indeed, registry entries disappeared. They were
> there before
> because SAP/Oracle started successfully in previous weeks.
>
> I added the necessary entries and SAP started. I then checked the
> registry entries after shutting down SAP and Oracle (Shutdown
> immediate) and
> they were there. They, indeed, disappeared after I started Oracle
> (Startup).
>
> I fixed the immediate issue by adding the variables that were
> previously in the registry
> as environment variables.
>
> I tested again with a test registry entry and, indeed, it disappeared
> when Oracle started.
>
> The Event Log does not display any serious issues. Symantec runs an
> anti-virus daily and it displays no problems, etc.. The Oracle user
> traces
> show sporadic network issues, but I have never seen these types of
> issues cause
> registry problems.
>
> Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
>

> Thanks,
> DF

Use a tool like RegMon to check if this really happens when Oracle starts. How do you start Oracle?

Shakespeare Received on Fri Aug 15 2008 - 05:47:00 CDT

Original text of this message