Re: 100% memory

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 10:30:43 -0700 (PDT)

On Jul 21, 12:52 pm, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:
> BicycleRepairman wrote:
> >> You have users monitoring memory consumption?
>
> >> --
> >> Mladen Gogalahttp://mgogala.freehostia.com
>
> > They run the backups too. Don't yours?
>
> If I ever found a system that allowed an end-user to perform a
> backup ... the DBA would be backing out the door with their
> final paycheck.

Over the years, I've seen plenty of systems where the users do the backups. I've seen plenty where the users don't do the backups. What do you think happens when there isn't a DBA? Which system would you rather work on after it breaks?

From what I've seen, if users are given serious instruction on how to back up so they consider it part of their job, they do. The usual problem is they are not specifically told they have to. A secondary problem is they may not know to check if the backups have been successful.

"Users" is a very broad term. Most of us are "users" of many systems, even if a full time DBA. Many places have databases in addition to the "mission-critical" one, and some of those are also missioncritical,  if not always seen that way by the business, until, say, the payroll breaks (not a hypothetical in my experience...).

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
Spectrum squatters:  http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/tech/20080716-1245-fcc-wirelessmicrophones.html