Re: create database fatal error

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2008 11:10:48 -0700 (PDT)

On Jul 6, 11:30 am, Tommy Halsbrekk <to..._at_dummy.no> wrote:
> Michael Austin wrote:
>
> > Were you able to get your problem solved?
>
> > Make sure your database directories are owned by oracle user.
>
> > Have a look athttp://www.fast-track.cc/10g_02.htm
>
> > - specifically these lines:
> > DATAFILE '/usr/oracle/OraHome1/oradata/aultdb1/test/system01.dbf' SIZE
> > 300M REUSE AUTOEXTEND ON NEXT 10240K MAXSIZE UNLIMITED
> > EXTENT MANAGEMENT LOCAL
>
> > AUTOEXTEND ON will automagically add space to the file as needed.
>
> Thanks that worked beautifully. I dont understand the line eniterly
> though, because other examples I have seen dont have the autoextend
> option, so I thought the extent management local was the clue.
>
> In any case thanks for all help
>
> regards
>
> tommy

The problem arises when non-system things get put into the system tablespace. You can wind up extending the system tablespace until it is very large, in the disasterous case filling up the disk, crashing the database, and being unable to shrink the tablespace, etc.

Whether that happens depends on the quality of the adminstrators and developers of the db. People who have no clue what they are doing are most likely to make such mistakes. Some things do change by version, and as everyone has advised you, you can use dbca to save a create database script that works.

In any event, you should check if non-system objects are in the system tablespace. Doing a job about which you are unqualified and neither is management and then leaving for vacation - wouldn't give me the warm 'n fuzzies. I've cleaned up more than enough of those...

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
Weather underground is better.  http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20080707/news_1b7channel.html