Re: creating database manually

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 11:43:25 -0700 (PDT)

On Jun 26, 5:54 am, Tommy Halsbrekk <to..._at_dummy.no> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am doing some work to update a script (solaris) which creates oracle
> databases manually, the versions involved are from 9.2 to 10.2. I used
> the oracle admin section 2 "Manually creating an oracle database" as a
> guide.
>
> http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14231/create...
>
> The problem I have is that the script uses a different method than what
> is described in the manual, it create a number of directories :
>
> cd $ORACLE_BASE/admin
> mkdir -p $ORACLE_SID/pfile
> mkdir $ORACLE_SID/udump
> mkdir $ORACLE_SID/pdump
> mkdir -p $ORACLE_DATA/$ORACLE_SID/DATA
> mkdir $ORACLE_DATA/$ORACLE_SID/REDO+CONTROL
>
> In addition, in oracle 10 the directories structure has changed,
> compared to oracle 9 so these dirs exists elsewhere.
>
> Also the config.ora and init.ora files references miscellaneous dirs:
>
> init.ora:
> ifile=/x/c/v/config.ora
>
> config.ora:
> core_dump_dest=/x/c/v
> user_dump_dest=/x/c/v
> db_create_online_log_dest=/x/c/v/REDO+CONTROL
> db_create_file_dest=/x/c/v/DATA
> control_files=(/x/c/v/REDO+CONTROL/control01.ctl, ....)
>
> At this point I am very confused,
>
> So my questions are:
> - is it enough to just follow the procedure in the admin guide and make
> sure the different files end up at the desired directories or are there
> other steps I need to follow that the guide does not mention?
> - What are these dirs, the config params and are they all still relevant
> for 10.2?
> - are these dirs created automatically by oracle when i specify them in
> the CREATE DATABASE statement and in the init.ora file o rmust I create
> them before performing the tasks specified in the admin guide?
>
> regards
>
> tommy

There is something you can look up called Optimal Flexible Architecture, which is where all those directories are explained. The Oracle definition was changed somewhat for O10, and the person who originally devised the structure has said he doesn't agree with the new structure. Also, different platforms have different defaults, some ignoring OFA and putting it all in the $ORACLE_HOME/dbs directory. In the end, it is a DBA judgment call. I tend to lean towards thinking of the people in the future, who will probably expect things to be more or less in the default directory structure. You might also play with dbca and see what it thinks about things. I tend to use it to create scripts, then make some minor modifications that I use to make the real db and keep them around forever. No, the directories are not created automatically.

Plenty of discussion here in the past:
http://groups.google.com/groups/search?lr=&safe=off&num=10&q=ofa+group%3Acomp.databases.oracle.server&safe=off&qt_s=Search

jg

--