creating database manually

From: Tommy Halsbrekk <tommy_at_dummy.no>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 13:54:37 +0100

Hi

I am doing some work to update a script (solaris) which creates oracle databases manually, the versions involved are from 9.2 to 10.2. I used the oracle admin section 2 "Manually creating an oracle database" as a guide.

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14231/create.htm#i1017640

The problem I have is that the script uses a different method than what is described in the manual, it create a number of directories :

cd $ORACLE_BASE/admin
mkdir -p $ORACLE_SID/pfile
mkdir $ORACLE_SID/udump
mkdir $ORACLE_SID/pdump
mkdir -p $ORACLE_DATA/$ORACLE_SID/DATA
mkdir $ORACLE_DATA/$ORACLE_SID/REDO+CONTROL

In addition, in oracle 10 the directories structure has changed, compared to oracle 9 so these dirs exists elsewhere.

Also the config.ora and init.ora files references miscellaneous dirs:

init.ora:
ifile=/x/c/v/config.ora

config.ora:

core_dump_dest=/x/c/v
user_dump_dest=/x/c/v
db_create_online_log_dest=/x/c/v/REDO+CONTROL
db_create_file_dest=/x/c/v/DATA

control_files=(/x/c/v/REDO+CONTROL/control01.ctl, ....)

At this point I am very confused,

So my questions are:
- is it enough to just follow the procedure in the admin guide and make
sure the different files end up at the desired directories or are there other steps I need to follow that the guide does not mention?
- What are these dirs, the config params and are they all still relevant
for 10.2?
- are these dirs created automatically by oracle when i specify them in
the CREATE DATABASE statement and in the init.ora file o rmust I create them before performing the tasks specified in the admin guide?

regards

tommy Received on Thu Jun 26 2008 - 07:54:37 CDT

Original text of this message