Re: Crossing over from SQL Server

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 15:07:47 -0700

Mark D Powell wrote:

> [...]

>> Tracy McKibben wrote:
>>> About a year ago, the company that I work for purchased another
>>> company. We're a large SQL Server shop, but this new company has a
>>> mix of SQL Server and Oracle. As part of the DBA team, I'm required
>>> to start learning Oracle, in order to provide production support
>>> (admin duties, performance tuning, etc..).
>>> Aside from classroom training (doesn't work well for me, I get bored),
>>> what suggestions are there for getting up to speed? I'm looking for a
>>> "in SQL, you do it like this, in Oracle, you do it this way" stuff -
>>> books, CBT's, whatever. I'm planning to purchase the "Admin Workshop
>>> I", "Admin Workshop II", and "Performance Tuning" CBT's from Oracle.
>>> What else can I look for?
>> I teach Oracle cross-over courses for SQL Server, Sybase, Informix,
>> and DB2 as part of my curriculum at the University of Washington and
>> my finding is that those SQL Server pros that do not approach Oracle
>> with an open mind to learning new things do the worst.
>>
>> Lets start with verbiage. The following words, in Oracle, have meanings
>> partially or totally unrelated to their usage in SQL Server:
>> DATABASE
>> INSTANCE
>> CLUSTER
>> LOG FILE
>>
>> Oracle has object types that are critically important that do not
>> exist in SQL Server including:
>> SEQUENCES
>> BEFORE TRIGGERS
>> (most) EVENT TRIGGERS
>> PACKAGES
>> OPERATORS
>> BITMAP INDEXES
>> BITMAP JOIN INDEXES
>> FUNCTION BASED INDEXES
>> REVERSE KEY INDEXES
>> INVISIBLE INDEXES
>> EXTERNAL TABLES
>> GLOBAL TEMPORARY TABLES
>> (most) PARTITIONING & (all) COMPOSITE PARTITIONING
>>
>> And the underlying concepts and architecture of SQL Server is based
>> on the INGRES project at UC Berkeley and bears no relationship to
>> the concepts brought to Oracle. SQL Server 2005 tried to imitate
>> one (MVCC) but otherwise they are essentially different beasts.
>>
>> I have put together a page that hopefully makes more of this clear:http://www.psoug.org/reference/sqlserver.html
>>
>> And the other big thing ... in Oracle you MUST read the docs.
>> Start here:http://www.oracle.com/pls/db111/homepage
>> and find the link to "Concepts."
>> --
>> Daniel A. Morgan
>> Oracle Ace Director & Instructor
>> University of Washington
>> damor..._at_x.washington.edu (replace x with u to respond)
>> Puget Sound Oracle Users Groupwww.psoug.org
>
> I though SQL Server was based on Sybase since the first version of SQL
> Server was a port of Sybase to the MS DOS platform.  Both database
> managers still shared numerous stored procedure names for performing
> the same function and the T-SQL lanaguage.

Here's the history from my class slides:

Ingres

Begun as a research project at UC Berkeley: 1970 Several companies used the Ingres source code to produce products. The most successful was a company named Relational Technology, Inc. (RTI) founded in 1980 by Michael Stonebraker and another Berkeley professor, Lawrence A. Rowe. RTI was renamed Ingres Corporation in the late 1980's.

Informix

Followed the 1995 purchase of Illustra, Informix concentrated on object-relational database (O-R) technology. Illustra was written by ex-Postgres team members and led by database pioneer Michael Stonebraker. Illustra included DataBlades that allowed new data types and features to be included in the basic server as options such as time series, spatial and multimedia data. Informix integrated Illustra's O-R mapping and DataBlades into the 7.x OnLine product, resulting in Informix Universal Server (IUS), or more generally, Version 9. -- note Stonebreaker again

Sybase

Robert Epstein, the chief programmer on the Ingres project while he was at Berkeley, formed Britton-Lee along with other students from the Ingres Project, Paula Hawthorne and Mike Ubell; they were joined later by Eric Allman. Later, they founded Sybase. -- note the connection back to the Ingres project

SQL Server

Well we all know how this came about don't we so need to dredge up the dirt.