Re: ASM Question - Best Practice

From: AGT <usenetpersongerryt_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2008 10:13:29 -0700

On Mon, 02 Jun 2008 23:51:07 +0100, Palooka wrote:

> Our application will likely use Oracle 10g (probably 10.2.0.4) on AIX
> v6, using an EMC Symmetrix SAN. The environment doesn't exist yet - we
> are at the planning stage.
> The intention is to use ASM. So first question: The mirroring can be
> done within ASM; i.e. by Oracle, or we can do it at the SAN level.

how large is this installation going to be? I admit my experience is with Solaris (with SAN and without) in a variety of configs and the best performance I saw using ASM was to throw as many spindles as possible at ASM using a JBOD over FC/AL. A RAID5 or 10 SAN LUN behaved the same with or without ASM. IOW ASM offered no performance advantages in my particular environment which is quite small.

Maybe you are lucky - even the mention of ASM once sent the DBAs scurrying for cover and to suggest that to the "consultants" would have been a mistake : >

> Any advice or recommendations as to which is likely to be better?
> Availability and resilience will probably rank ahead of performance in
> terms of user requirements.

If you trust Oracles ASM to manage the disks wholly then use ASM with a JBOD. How many petabytes are we talking here? : < I think you should get the equipment first and do dozens of Swingbench runs to get a feel for what fits best.

> Palooka

Hmm Received on Tue Jun 03 2008 - 12:13:29 CDT

Original text of this message