Re: Faster index creation

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 14 May 2008 15:27:09 GMT

On Wed, 14 May 2008 08:02:03 -0700, Tom wrote:

> I am not looking forward to 2 tablescans so I was thinking of running
> both create index statements at the same time from different sqlplus
> sessions and hoping that the data for the slower statement is in cache
> for the faster statement.
>
> Or as an alternative, I was thinking of first creating an index which
> was a superset of the columns in the other 2 indexes and then creating
> the other indexes. They will just use the first index instead of doing
> table scans. When they are done, drop the first index.
>
> I'm hoping that someone else has better ideas or that there is just a
> simpler way.
>
> . . . Tom

First of all, if you are to employ "parallel" option, there will be no caching. You will have quite a few segment checkpoints, though. My advice would be to clench your teeth and take the 2 scans like a man. A DBA got to do what a DBA got to do. Increase PGA_AGGREGATE_TARGET, create indexes with "nologging" and byte the bullet.

--
http://mgogala.freehostia.com