Re: Grid Control use by DBAs

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 13:56:21 -0700 (PDT)

On May 10, 10:31 am, "F" <f..._at_hotmail.com> wrote:
> We hired a DBA of late who claims to have a lot of experience and none of us
> had experience with Oracle before as its a new environment. He said he has
> never used Grid Control before. We are using 10g.  He said he has always
> used scripts.
>
> Is that a concern ? I feel maybe we have not picked the right person. Let me
> know.

I also agree with the others, with the following question:

Does the person show an interest in keeping up with the state of the art?

If yes, he'll likely go through the learning curve (ie, "why is grid messed up after I patched?"), and be fine.

If no, he'll have an attitude like "GUI's are for clueless newbies" and probably have 10% of usefulness he should have, as he struggles against doing everything through the interface.

Hopefully he will keep an open mind and want to do things right. It may not even matter, as when he moves on the next person will blame everything on him, whether deserved or not.

Can you give any specifics as to the cause of your feeling? Simply being taciturn may or may not be a bad sign - he may simply be unwilling to say much until he becomes comfortable in the environment. Or, he may have the attitude problem, and you'll find out the hard way. It's tough to distinguish between stylistic differences and problems, it might take 6 months to tell.

Of course, if you are all new to Oracle your expectations may need to be adjusted too, and the problem may be in his approach to that as opposed to technical issues. Some places need a bastard dba from hell, after all is said and done.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
Everyone get on the spammobile.