Re: RMAN recovery question

From: Chuck <skilover_nospam_at_bluebottle.com>
Date: Wed, 07 May 2008 17:26:32 GMT

hpuxrac wrote:

> On May 7, 11:41 am, Chuck <skilover_nos..._at_bluebottle.com> wrote:

>> A cold backup was taken of a 10.2.0.3 database using rman. The database
>> was shut down cleanly before the backup was started. When I tried to
>> restore the backup a few days later, it would not let me open the
>> database. It said that file 1 (system01.dbf) file needed further
>> recovery. Why would a file need *any* recovery if it was a cold backup?
>>
>> These are the rman commands used to do the restore.
>>
>> startup force nomount;
>> restore controlfile from '$mediahandle';
>> alter database mount;
>> restore database from tag $tag;
>> alter database open resetlogs;
>>
>> The $variables are shell variables that specify the appropriate
>> information needed to restore the correct control file and backup sets.
>> It's part of a script that's worked dozens of times before. Everything
>> worked fine up to the "alter database open resetlogs;" where it started
>> complaining about needing recovery on one of the files. There were no
>> errors in either the backup or the restore.
>>
>> TIA
>
> For wild stab's in the dark, I would ask these questions:
>
> 1) is it possible that the control file that you restored is not the
> correct one?
>
> 2) is it possible that what you describe as a clean shutdown was not
> exactly in that manner?

Been checking these very things all morning. The control file is the correct one taken immediately after the database backup via controlfile autobackup (same scn), and the alert log shows nothing unusual happened between the "shutdown immediate", and the "alter database open".

Oddly if I use the backup reports in Grid Control for this database, it shows the status of the backup I restored from as "FAILED" (I think that status comes from v$rman_backup_job_details), but the RMAN output log from the backup itself shows no errors, all files backed up succesfully and the return code was 0.

FYI the MML is Veritas Net Backup if it makes a difference. Received on Wed May 07 2008 - 12:26:32 CDT

Original text of this message