Re: RMAN recovery question

From: Chuck <skilover_nospam_at_bluebottle.com>
Date: Wed, 07 May 2008 17:14:35 GMT

gazzag wrote:

> On 7 May, 16:41, Chuck <skilover_nos..._at_bluebottle.com> wrote:

>> A cold backup was taken of a 10.2.0.3 database using rman. The database
>> was shut down cleanly before the backup was started. When I tried to
>> restore the backup a few days later, it would not let me open the
>> database. It said that file 1 (system01.dbf) file needed further
>> recovery. Why would a file need *any* recovery if it was a cold backup?
>>
>> These are the rman commands used to do the restore.
>>
>> startup force nomount;
>> restore controlfile from '$mediahandle';
>> alter database mount;
>> restore database from tag $tag;
>> alter database open resetlogs;
>>
>> The $variables are shell variables that specify the appropriate
>> information needed to restore the correct control file and backup sets.
>> It's part of a script that's worked dozens of times before. Everything
>> worked fine up to the "alter database open resetlogs;" where it started
>> complaining about needing recovery on one of the files. There were no
>> errors in either the backup or the restore.
>>
>> TIA
>
> How was the backup originally taken?
>
> HTH
>
> -g

With the database down. The controlfile backup was an auto backup

shutdown immediate
startup mount
backup database;
alter database open;

One of my colleagues suggested after the restore I need todo "recover database noredo" but if I understand corrrectly that's only necessary of the online redo logs were lost. They weren't. Received on Wed May 07 2008 - 12:14:35 CDT

Original text of this message