Re: Switchover possible without network connectivity?

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 11:23:52 -0700 (PDT)

On Apr 25, 8:11 am, myl..._at_gmail.com wrote:
> Let's say the network between my (physical) primary and standby
> databases fails.  Can I perform a switchover if I shuttle the archived
> redo logs from site to site by some other means?  Here's how I see it:
>
> Switch primary to standby.
> Move missing archived redo logs from primary to standby.
> Apply archived redo logs to standby.
> Switch standby to primary.
>
> Will this work?  I'm running 9i on AIX 5.2
>
> Best,
> Myles

Yes, it does work. You must test for several types of failure. If you can archive your current redo and do a graceful shutdown on the primary, you can avoid losing data. You need to be explicit about what your service level expectations are.

You have to get everything applied before you switch to the standby.

Search for graceful switchover on oracle.com and the docs to see what you should be striving for, there are some informative white papers floating about.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.straightdope.com/columns/010330.html