Re: Switchover possible without network connectivity?

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 10:32:00 -0700 (PDT)

On Apr 25, 11:11 am, myl..._at_gmail.com wrote:
> Let's say the network between my (physical) primary and standby
> databases fails.  Can I perform a switchover if I shuttle the archived
> redo logs from site to site by some other means?  Here's how I see it:
>
> Switch primary to standby.
> Move missing archived redo logs from primary to standby.
> Apply archived redo logs to standby.
> Switch standby to primary.
>
> Will this work?  I'm running 9i on AIX 5.2
>
> Best,
> Myles

I believe the answer has to be yes otherwise in the event of a physical server failure for the primary database you would never be able to have the standby database take over. It is a manual switch.

I could be wrong since we are not currently running an Oracle standby database but I have read on this in the past. We stuck with RAC but some sites use standby databases with RAC to protect from site failure.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Fri Apr 25 2008 - 12:32:00 CDT

Original text of this message