Re: Using GHOSt with ASM disks - Cloning

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 06:30:15 -0700 (PDT)

On Apr 11, 5:00 am, "GPD" <j..._at_thedawes.gotadsl.co.uk.nospam> wrote:
> Have a customer of a datawarehouse product my company supply asking best way
> to clone a server with an Oracle ASM partition.
>
> Want an exact clone of a 'live' server for DR use.
>
> Any ideas?

You aren't really thinking of using Norton GHOST for doing this are you? I hope this is a generic kind of question ...

For large storage environments ( data warehouse database ) replication many companies use storage based replication solutions. This is typically something like EMC SRDF (symmetrix), or EMC Mirrorview (clarion) ... I think most all the storage vendors Sun, HP, Netapp etc have a similar product that does replication from a storage based solution.

You can also use Oracle's Data Guard based solutions or RMAN to clone a database.

In general though for large database systems I think many companies still lean toward storage based replication. Received on Fri Apr 11 2008 - 08:30:15 CDT

Original text of this message