Re: RAC and scalability

From: Andrea <netsecurity_at_tiscali.it>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 07:50:17 -0700 (PDT)

On Apr 7, 3:53 pm, Mark D Powell <Mark.Pow..._at_eds.com> wrote:

> Andrew, I know nothing about the hardware you listed but if you want
> useful responses you need to identify the type of application that you
> will be running: OLTP, DSS, OLAP, etc ... and identify the current
> user load. The Oracle version you will be using is also important.
>
> For the solution to be RAC it must involve at least two nodes.
>
> Also depending on the application design some applications just do not
> scale well with RAC. To really run well under RAC the application
> should have been designed with RAC in mind.

unfortunately i can't collect informations on current user loads, because this is a new project that merge several applications and these apps doesn't current using.
The type of applications will mainly OLTP on 10g rel. of rdbms. Sure 4 CPU is better then 2CPU, but what i want to know is if ScaleUp is better then ScaleOut (horizontal scaling) in reference to cost of the 2 servers describes up.

So if bl480c server with dual CPU have cost of 6.000$ and bl680c with 4 CPU is 12.500$ (double), in RAC environment it is better 2 nodes of bl680c or 3-4 nodes of bl480c ?

thanks again
Andrew Received on Mon Apr 07 2008 - 09:50:17 CDT

Original text of this message