Re: SQL Server for Oracle DBA's

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 14:20:26 -0700 (PDT)

On Apr 1, 1:54 pm, Noons <wizofo..._at_aol.com> wrote:
> On Apr 2, 1:56 am, joel garry <joel-ga..._at_home.com> wrote:
>

> > Hmmmm....
>
> >http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14220/intro....
>
> > "Overview of the Oracle Instance
> > An Oracle database server consists of an Oracle database and an Oracle
> > instance. Every time a database is started, a system global area (SGA)
> > is allocated and Oracle background processes are started. The
> > combination of the background processes and memory buffers is called
> > an Oracle instance."
>
> > This darn database stuff is so confusing!
>
> LOL!
> I didn't say it was correct from the point of view of Oracle.
> It is a microslop document after all!
> It is however quite correct for SS.  For those
> who know Oracle the appropriate filtering can be applied,
> of course.

Well, if the first screen is so wrong, you know what they say about first impressions... and what are these automatic backups in Oracle they talk about?

> > So, what's the command to make the applications use the same
> > transaction model?
>
> None.  But you'll find all the necessary
> commands to maintain a basic SQL Server
> and Oracle environments.  I'll look it up
> and post the link later.  It's in one of Gary's
> entries in his blog, as well.

Well, I continue to work on db-independent apps. And I continue to laugh at the O10 instructions for them that still cut and paste O7 instructions. And I continue to be amazed they still work and perform well in character mode, thin client and web based. And I continue to be sick of the lowest-common-denominator approach required to work with mslop and O with the same app. And I continue to laugh at places who manage Oracle databases with SQL Server attitudes.

It might help if you specified which Gary... I see too much SpongeBob.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://catless.ncl.ac.uk/Risks/25.10.html#subj1