Re: asp.net vb / oracle problem

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 17:01:26 -0700 (PDT)

On Mar 25, 1:53 pm, BookerT <ch..._at_mierbo.com> wrote:
> Hopefully, I frame this problem/question correctly.
>
> I have some code written/updated in visual studio 2003. This code when
> setup on other machines where I have installed the Oracle 9i client,
> and the Oracle 9.? odbc drivers will connect to my oracle database
> when debugging.

> A snippet of the code that makes the connection is a s follows
>
> gsConnectionString = OLEDB_PROVIDER & "User ID=username;Password=" &
> DB_DEV_ADMIN_PASSWORD & ";Data Source=mdevl.domain.com"
>
> where OLEDB_PROVIDER =
>
> Public Const OLEDB_PROVIDER As String = "Provider=MSDAORA.1;"
>
> Dim cn As OleDbConnection = OpenDatabase(gsConnectionString)
>
> Shared Function OpenDatabase(ByVal gsConnectionString As String) As
> OleDbConnection
> Dim cn As New OleDbConnection(gsConnectionString)
> cn.Open()
> Return cn
> End Function
>
> Oracle Pl/SQL connects just fine. The odbc connections to mdevl are
> working just fine
>
> What gives

First up I'd certainly be considering using the managed .net provider in your situation. That said I'd want to be sure that on the machines where it works you are also referencing the Microsoft ODBC provider for Oracle via oledb, and that those machines only had the 9i client installed. I don't believe that that combo ever actually worked. I'd also look at the definition of mdev1.domain.com on each machine.

Niall Received on Tue Mar 25 2008 - 19:01:26 CDT

Original text of this message