Re: asp.net vb / oracle problem

From: BookerT <chipw_at_mierbo.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 04:28:35 -0700 (PDT)
Message-ID: <c4169017-1712-4aa9-8272-7d1f9fe6dbe5@2g2000hsn.googlegroups.com>


On Mar 25, 8:01 pm, Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfi..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 25, 1:53 pm, BookerT <ch..._at_mierbo.com> wrote:
>
>
>
> > Hopefully, I frame this problem/question correctly.
>
> > I have some code written/updated in visual studio 2003. This code when
> > setup on other machines where I have installed the Oracle 9i client,
> > and the Oracle 9.? odbc drivers will connect to my oracle database
> > when debugging.
> > A snippet of the code that makes the connection is a s follows
>
> > gsConnectionString = OLEDB_PROVIDER & "User ID=username;Password=" &
> > DB_DEV_ADMIN_PASSWORD & ";Data Source=mdevl.domain.com"
>
> > where OLEDB_PROVIDER =
>
> > Public Const OLEDB_PROVIDER As String = "Provider=MSDAORA.1;"
>
> > Dim cn As OleDbConnection = OpenDatabase(gsConnectionString)
>
> > Shared Function OpenDatabase(ByVal gsConnectionString As String) As
> > OleDbConnection
> > Dim cn As New OleDbConnection(gsConnectionString)
> > cn.Open()
> > Return cn
> > End Function
>
> > Oracle Pl/SQL connects just fine. The odbc connections to mdevl are
> > working just fine
>
> > What gives
>
> First up I'd certainly be considering using the managed .net provider
> in your situation. That said I'd want to be sure that on the machines
> where it works you are also referencing the Microsoft ODBC provider
> for Oracle via oledb, and that those machines only had the 9i client
> installed. I don't believe that that combo ever actually worked. I'd
> also look at the definition of mdev1.domain.com on each machine.
>
> Niall

The answer ended up being, I had to install the Oracle Odac for .net information, then was able to debug. I think i used version 9.2 Received on Sun Mar 30 2008 - 06:28:35 CDT

Original text of this message