Re: Oracle 10.2.0.3.0 install on a desktop

From: T <tom.simmons1_at_ge.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 04:46:43 -0700 (PDT)

On Mar 20, 1:31 pm, "Shakespeare" <what..._at_xs4all.nl> wrote:
> <tom.simm..._at_vetco.com> schreef in berichtnews:c8296242-ed50-428f-836b-9f0aab5923ec_at_e23g2000prf.googlegroups.com...
>

> > Hi
>
> > I have installed the above version of Oracle on my Windows XP desktop
> > machine, and against my gut feeling I followed the advice of ignoring
> > the message about the Loopback connection.
>
> > Initially all seemed well, however now I can only access EM if my
> > machine is booted disconnected from the network.  If it's connected,
> > in the services list I can see the service hasn't started, and cannot
> > be started, I get a fails with status 2.
>
> > Having Googled around, this seem to be because when you in stall a
> > directory is created in the structure that either has localhost or
> > machine name in it.  A supposed resolution is to copy which ever
> > directory you have, and edit the directory name to the other, giving
> > you both - this isn't working for me.
>
> > I'm guessing that if I'd followed my gut feeling and set up the
> > loopback connection all would have been well from the beginning?
>
> > Is there a resolution, or am I doomed to uninstall and reinstall with
> > the loopback?
>
> > Tom
>
> Reinstall, and make sure that
> 1 - You have a loopback adapter
> 2 - A fully qualified host name with the address of the loopback in your
> host file (could be anything but NOT localhost)
> 3 - Your loopback adapter is the last installed adapter
> 4 - (just to be sure) let the name in 2- be the first one in your host file
> after localhost.
>
> You MIGHT try this: disconnect from the network; see what your ip address is
> (169. something); install a loopback adapter with this address; deactivate
> it; connect to the network; activate it, start your database, listener and
> em. It might work; and since you have to install the loopback anyway, it's
> no extra work.
>
> Shakespeare- Hide quoted text -

Thanks everyone, at least I now know that a reinstall is my best option.

As a rule I do follow the prompts given, however not being familiar with Oracle I took the advice of person that know more about it than me! Hmmm, well are meant to know more about it that me.

Tom Received on Mon Mar 24 2008 - 06:46:43 CDT

Original text of this message