Re: consolidation of multiple rows

From: --CELKO-- <jcelko212_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 15:09:04 -0700 (PDT)

>> From what I saw in this thread Joe Celko noted that he had not contributed to advancing relational theory. <<

True: I am "applied math" rather than theory.

>> Practical stuff perhaps I don't really know but certainly he has a number of SQL Server related books out. I am not aware of anything in the Oracle area that he has published. <<

NO! My books are ANSI/ISO Standard, not SQL Server, Oracle, DB2, or any other product related. I deviate only when a non-standard feature is common enough it will port (CREATE INDEX in the X\OPEN syntax, math functions, some string functions, etc.).

I have been approached by a few vendors to do a "JOE CELKO'S <product name here> FOR SMARTIES" book, but I have not done so. It is a matter of professional ethics, not knowing enough about the products and no bribes big enough (yet).

I also deal with things at a data level -- design of encoding schemes, statistical analysis, risk and error analysis, data quality and validation, etc. My first Masters degree was in math and I have worked as a full-time statistician and scientific programmer before I became "the SQL Guy" and stopped doing honest work. Received on Sat Mar 15 2008 - 17:09:04 CDT

Original text of this message