Re: Oracle on Windows vs Solaris or Linux ?

From: Yong Huang <yong321_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2008 18:51:31 -0700 (PDT)

On Mar 9, 4:45 pm, Michael Austin <maus..._at_firstdbasource.com> wrote:
> Do not enable HYPER-THREADING on the Windows box. I have had more than
> one db performance increase significantly by DISABLING it - Oracle does
> not HT very well on Windows. On one app, the db functions went from
> 400ms to 10ms by disabling HT.

Hi Michael,

Do you happen to know exactly what had caused the problem? Is there an Oracle or Microsoft bug? Did you try explicitly setting cpu_count=1 without disabling hyperthreading at OS level? If that works, you can unset it and try other parameters to narrow down, _kgl_latch_count=0, ..., any parameter that changed value when you set cpu_count=1. By no means am I saying these are better workarounds. But if you follow this process, you *might* find the real cause.

Yong Huang Received on Sun Mar 09 2008 - 20:51:31 CDT

Original text of this message