Re: Oracle on Windows vs Solaris or Linux ?

From: Michael Austin <maustin_at_firstdbasource.com>
Date: Sun, 09 Mar 2008 21:45:59 GMT

F wrote:
> Does Oracle RAC on windows have any issues as opposed to say Oracle on
> Solaris or Linux ?
>
> We are using Oracle 10g
>
> Thanks

Do not enable HYPER-THREADING on the Windows box. I have had more than one db performance increase significantly by DISABLING it - Oracle does not HT very well on Windows. On one app, the db functions went from 400ms to 10ms by disabling HT.

Maintenance is a pain - being able to restore a complete database and have it functioning afterwards is a biggy for me. I was in one shop where restore was re-image the server - then reinstall/recreate the database. It was a temporary storage on a production line and data was uploaded to a site db every few minutes via a db job. They also switched to using OracleXE (4G data limit) due to no licensing costs- and also worked well with the app/db design.

Multi-core licenses on Solaris/Linux may play a role in your decision. Again database maintenance, backups/restores are fairly easy. Size of the database will also play a role in your decision as you will consider storage and storage redundancy and backup space.

In my current position we do not allow Oracle on Windows - if it is Business or Mission critical - it should be on a platform capable of handling the work-load. Windows is far to fragile for that- can you say BSoD? Received on Sun Mar 09 2008 - 16:45:59 CDT

Original text of this message