Re: Varchar2

From: Steve Howard <stevedhoward_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2008 06:52:07 -0800 (PST)

On Feb 29, 7:30 pm, "ame..._at_iwc.net" <ame..._at_iwc.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking around for opinions.
>
> We're running Oracle 10g, we have the need now for a VARCHAR2 column
> with 6000 characters. I know the standard thing is to create a LOB
> column.
>
> We have not LOB column in our database. I have 2 options here:
>
> The first is to create 2 columns, and, use a function on SELECT and a
> trigger in INSERT to split or concatenate the string.
>
> The second is to use a LOB column, and if I do that, it may have to be
> compatible with PHP, as PHP may be selecting the data......maybe.
>
> So, I'm looking for opinions on people who have done this, or used LOB
> columns, since we never have....
>
> Thanks!

Hi,

I will preface this by saying that Mladen Gogola is the definitive source on this stuff (so please correct this where it is inaccurate :)). However, it is possible to process a CLOB in php with oci8 enabled, so I wouldn't let that stop you from using a CLOB datatype in the database.

IIRC, you have to use a OCINewDescriptor for the CLOB, or your php will just show "Object" for the value when queried. I think his book details this pretty well.

HTH, Steve Received on Sat Mar 01 2008 - 08:52:07 CST

Original text of this message