Re: 9i performance tuning - is this of relevance to 10g

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 10:44:48 -0800 (PST)

On Feb 27, 9:55 pm, pellicleund..._at_hotmail.com (obakesan) wrote:
> Hi
>
> In article
> <2d231c35-5b70-46af-850f-f9d4f8290..._at_t66g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>, Mark D
>
> Powell <Mark.Pow..._at_eds.com> wrote:
>
> >How to chose what to take probably depends on which version of Oracle
> >do you mostly support and how long before you work mostly in the
> >higher version.
>
> >Ash yourself how long before you can put the information to work?
>
> good question (and good frame of reference too)
>
> the problem is that not being employed at the moment I'm taking this
> opportunity to try to choose what's best for a market.
>
> still, I'm not sure if performance tuning concepts in 9i are transferable to
> 10g?
>
> See Ya
> (when bandwidth gets better ;-)
>
> Chris Eastwood
> Photographer, Programmer
> Motorcyclist and dingbat
>
> please remove undies for reply

Mark said it well. I'd add, you can't really predict the market, and the barriers to entry you may have to overcome don't necessarily equate with the work you will be doing (my experience has been there is a real disconnect between the barriers and the work). The newer stuff that oracle is pushing is GUI oriented, but it is also expensive, and many smaller sites may not spring for it. So you need to be prepared for your luck, you don't know if you will find a place that is looking for a GUI-oriented body or an older tech place that lost their non-GUI body. This boils down to Mark's advice - take the newer classes, read, study and try the older stuff on your own.

No matter where you are in the world, there are many more smaller places, and fewer but potentially more Oracle-expensive-option- oriented larger places. The real trick is to find one of the latter that will pay for the classes. But that's tough, of course. (Personally, I've long thought that having a tutorial, then some experience, then taking the class works best, but that assumes a longterm  view of employment that most companies just don't have). Application development shows companies a fairly immediate return on classes, and they need 10 times more developers than dba's, so another way to go might be to concentrate on getting a dev job and sidle over to dba work as you fix other developers performance issues, maybe the dba will go away in the normal course of events. That risks being stuck in the dev job if you are good, though.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
"Economy skids to a near halt" - headline